A three-year-old toddler, Haliya Abolore, has died in the Gbagada area of Lagos State after she was allegedly made to sit on a hot water container by her class teacher, identified only as Maryam.
It was learnt that Haliya, who was a kindergarten pupil at a private school on Idoluwo Street, Dosunmu, Lagos Island, was allegedly made to sit on the container on Wednesday, October 21.
The toddler ended up having burns in her buttocks and private parts, and was rushed to the Lagos Island General Hospital for treatment.
It was gathered that the matter was reported at the Adeniji Adele Police Division, while the teacher- Maryam was arrested. The school proprietress, Mrs. Bose Shomoade, was also said to have been invited for questioning by the police, and forced to make part payment of the treatment expenses.
After two weeks, the little girl was moved to the Gbagada General Hospital, for further treatment where she died on Tuesday.
Speaking with PUNCH Metro, Haliya’s father, Abolore, said he took the incident as a mistake on the part of the teacher, who knew the container had hot water, and made his daughter to sit on it.
“She was first taken to the Lagos Island General Hospital. Later, she was taken to the Gbagada General Hospital. We have spent about N300,000 on her treatment. The proprietress gave us N5,000 on the day of the incident. One week later, she visited the girl. She gave some money to my wife’s mother.
“The school teacher has been arrested and detained after the matter was reported at the Adeniji Adele division. The teacher was careless. He knew the container was used to keep hot water and she still sat her on it. All my daughter’s private parts were burnt. She was asked to sit on a container containing hot water.“My wife is distraught. She has been taken to our family house in Kwara State. Haliya is our jewel. We are so sad to lose her.”
The Coordinator, Lagos State Domestic and Sexual Violence Response Team, Mrs. Lola Vivour Adeniyi, said they had written to the state Ministry of Education to investigate the school.
“It is sad. The abuse of the three-year-old occurred when she suffered horrific burns. She was made to sit on a container of hot water in her school. We have just been informed that she died on Tuesday.
“Apparently, she stopped responding to treatment and the pain was too severe. We have also informed the Ministry of Education about the incident.”
A doctor in the hospital, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said, “The girl died due to complications from the burns.”
POSTED BY: Admin